Who Are We?
The Autism Society of Ventura County was founded in 1994 by local parents, educators and professionals to help support newly-diagnosed families and develop needed local resources. First known as the Ventura County Autism Society (VCAS), the organization is a non-profit chapter of the Autism Society of America.
The mission of the Autism Society Ventura County is to improve the lives of all affected by Autism. We work to promote lifelong access and opportunity for all individuals within the autism spectrum and their families to be fully included members of the community. We achieve this through education, advocacy, the promotion of research, increasing public awareness, and collaboration with other agencies.
ASVC members are mostly individuals and families who have children with autism of all ages. Our membership also includes service providers, agency staff, educators and teachers, and professionals who are interested in furthering the mission of ASVC. Our membership is open to any individual, family, or community member. Our board and the people who invest their time in ASVC are all volunteers.
Our Dedicated Volunteer Board of Directors
- Carly Fulgham, President – Adult with Autism, Assistant Vice President at Bank of America
- Corina Lozano, Vice President – Grandparent of child with ASD, VC Sheriff’s Dept.
- Aaron Kitzman, LMFT, Treasurer – Vice-President of Adult Programs, Villa Esperanza Services
- Damien Peña, EdD, Secretary – Father of a son with ASD, Dean of Students at CSU Channel Islands
- Sharon M. Francis – Aut2Run Race Director, CEO of Channel Islands Social Services
- Samuel Capozzi – Student and Advocate living with Autism, 2015 Aut2Run Grand Marshall
- Grant LaVigna, LMFT – Licensed family therapist with New Beginnings Counseling Center
- Peter Smilanick – College student living with Autism and Advocate
- Jenipher Swanson, BCBA – ASD Clinical Coordinator at Laurie Singer Behavioral Consultants
- Darylene Williams, MS – Mother of Adult with ASD, Special Education Teacher, ASVC Resource
- Molly K. Rearick, EdD – Founder & Director of Reid’s Gift, Inc., Adjunct Faculty at California Lutheran University and West Los Angeles College
- Bill Burke, Immediate Past President – Parent of two; teenage son with Autism